Imagine a Greater Montgomery
Since the launch of the inaugural phase in 2007, the Chamber’s Imagine a Greater Montgomery strategy has focused business, elected and community leaders around a vision of what could and should be. The Montgomery of today is vastly different than when we first gathered around the table to imagine a better and more prosperous future for the entire River Region. Today, we celebrate the progress made by an incredible team of business, elected and community leaders who not only dared to imagine a better future, but rolled up their sleeves to build it.
With our past efforts serving as a springboard to new opportunities, the next phase of the Chamber’s Imagine a Greater Montgomery economic development initiative will yield an even greater return on investment for the public and private partners who Believe that the best is yet to come.
BUILDING ON THE MOMENTUM
THE HIGH IMPACT PRIORITIES FOR GROWTH:
BUILD COMPETITIVE REGIONAL TALENT
- Align the Workforce Pipeline and delivery for the MGM region and capitalize on changes in the State’s Regional Workforce Council System.
- Align the needs of high demand sectors with highly performing workforce training options.
- Ensure that the new AL Region 5
- Workforce Council has a strong focus and staffing addressing the needs of the greater Montgomery area.
- Create positive perceptions among parents and students that career tech is a viable and lucrative path to success.
- Focus attention on the performance, governance and leadership of Montgomery Public Schools.
- Work with the Education Foundation to implement Pre K throughout Montgomery.
DIVERSIFY THE REGIONAL ECONOMY
- Leverage the Montgomery Internet Exchange and the unique assets of Maxwell, Gunter, Government and Universities to build a new industry vertical in the River Region around Cyber/Tech and Smart City Strategies.
- Implement a comprehensive Tech strategy for MGM, accompanied by an integrated branding effort.
- Launch an Innovation Center/Public-Private think-tank to support the Cyber College of the Air Force, build the regional tech and start-up eco-system, and create a talent pool continuum.
- Expand the Business Retention & Expansion Program to include key sectors beyond manufacturing.
- Catalyze key projects to protect Montgomery’s Military footprint:
- Secure funding and support for a Cross
- Wind Runway at MGM Regional Airport.
- Work to secure the F35 mission for the 187th Alabama Air National Guard.
- Secure funding for a new control tower at Maxwell Air Force Base.
TRANSFORM IMAGE & QUALITY OF PLACE
- Attract a catalyst project to transform Montgomery’s I-65 gateway and forever change the quality of place perception of Alabama’s capital city.
- Establish the Montgomery Regional Airport as a true economic development asset for the region; work in partnership with the MGM Airport Authority to expand air service, improve passenger traffic and experience, and grow commercial development opportunities.
- Expand convention & visitor destination sales capacity to increase recruitment of city and region-wide meetings and events that drive widespread occupancy and expenditures.
- Market Montgomery as a destination with a unified brand and voice; launch an aggressive media placement effort and story-telling campaign that integrates economic development, visitor and resident messaging; launch the #mgm initiative to build community stewardship.
BUILD DIVERSE COMMUNITY CAPACITY
- Aggregate diverse interest groups around key community priorities to effect change.
- Convene stakeholders and business owners around diversity and inclusion as part of a comprehensive small business growth strategy.
- Support collaborative efforts to retain vibrant talent and engage diverse young leaders around community priorities.
- Foster trust, communication and collaboration among elected leadership building strong public private partnerships.