resident Joe Biden on December 29, 2022, signed into law the budget package, which funds the federal government and supports key developments across the nation.
Thanks to the efforts of U.S. Rep. Terri Sewell (AL-07), more than $25 million has been appropriated to projects in Montgomery.
“We are grateful to the Biden-Harris Administration – as well as the efforts of Representative Terri Sewell – for allocating millions in funding to three pressing priorities in Montgomery,” Mayor Steven L. Reed said. “This funding will enhance quality of life and support our region’s economic growth while also advancing the mission of the 187th Fighter Wing of the Alabama Air National Guard. Rep. Sewell continues to serve as a staunch advocate for Montgomery and all of the communities in Alabama’s 7th Congressional District.”
The projects in Montgomery County include:
- $6,800,000 for the F-35 Weapons Load Crew Training Facility
- Funding will be used to construct a Weapons Load Crew Training facility utilizing conventional design and construction methods to accommodate the mission of the facility. This arrangement will improve the ability to train weapons load crews and certify their continued readiness.
- $4,000,000 for the City of Montgomery Blight Project
- Funding will be used to redevelop blighted properties within the City of Montgomery and revitalize neighborhoods that have historically seen a lack of investment opportunities.
- $15,000,000 for the Commercial Vehicle Inspection Gate
- Funding will be used to construct a commercial vehicle inspection and entry control facility area. This project will provide perimeter protection and security of Air Force personnel and assets, prevent unauthorized access, and maximize traffic flow.
The twelve-bill government funding package will create good-paying American jobs, grow opportunity for the middle class and small businesses and provide a lifeline for working families.
These projects will directly impact Montgomery and continue to reverse decades of disinvestment in Alabama communities.