Goal III: Accelerate Revitalization and Improve Quality of Life
Objective 2: Improve quality of life, housing, and retail offerings in targeted revitalization districts.
The vast improvements made to Montgomery’s downtown and other neighborhoods since the 2006 strategy process have not yet resulted in a substantial residential presence in these districts. Neither have they created the kind of destination retail
environment that draws visitors from within the region or other metro areas. During stakeholder input, many participants – particularly young professionals – remarked that demand for in-town living exists and that loft developments that have opened in recent years have been successful. This is one of the pieces of downtown development yet to substantially take hold in Montgomery. A strong residential presence in the heart of the Montgomery region creates opportunities for activity
throughout the day and night. The region’s retail presence has likewise migrated away from downtown and surrounding neighborhoods, shifting toward the eastern suburbs. Montgomery’s leaders need to continue encouraging a broad range of
venues where visitors spend their money to locate in targeted revitalization district. An invigorated retail sector in the region’s core will support efforts to lure residents and visitors alike.
- Support the City of Montgomery and Montgomery County in the revitalization of key districts to renew Montgomery’s central revitalization areas.
- Support existing and prospective retailers with detailed customer analytics.
- Develop a suite of legal regulatory and incentive tools promoting infill development and densification in the identified revitalization areas.
- Establish a grant program for the City of Montgomery to fund development of plans for zones with high capacity to link housing development, employment opportunities, and multi-modal transportation amenities.
- Survey Montgomery area retailers to identify the greatest barriers to success and ways to improve permitting and regulatory processes.
- Incorporate the area’s rich arts community in developing downtown Montgomery.
- Address widespread perceptions of crime.