Goal III: Accelerate Revitalization and Improve Quality of Life
Objective 1: Continue supporting riverfront development as a primary component of regional and downtown revitalization.
Montgomery’s riverfront has emerged in the last decade as a major source of civic pride and an engine of activity. Riverwalk stadium alone has regularly drawn thousands of local visitors that might otherwise have no reason to be downtown. Input participants were also quick to point to the Riverwalk’s other destinations – the amphitheater, Union Station, and the skate park – as favorite local venues. Yet, there still remains substantial opportunity for expansion of riverfront amenities.
Recreational amenities, such as canoe and kayak facilities, a large public park, designated fishing areas, and bicycle and pedestrian trails, are still somewhat lacking along the urban stretches of the river. As evidenced by best practice communities
such as Chattanooga and Nashville, a riverfront with both formal and informal gathering spaces, recreational amenities, and quality event spaces can have a transformative effect on downtown. Montgomery’s leaders will need to harness the
momentum created by recent successes and continue developing attractive riverfront resources so that every resident and visitor in the area is drawn there.
- Ensure that stewardship of riverfront development remains strong.
- Conduct periodic implementation reviews of the riverfront components of Montgomery’s Downtown Development Plan and Strategic Development Concept.
- Develop inviting pedestrian amenities in the blocks surrounding Montgomery’s riverfront.
- Market Montgomery’s riverfront amenities as a core component of the region’s identity.
- Develop river recreation activities that draw the region’s adventurers downtown.\
- Link riverfront and downtown improvements to Maxwell-Gunter AFB.