Goal II: Diversify Economic Growth
Objective 1: Pursue target-specific economic development recruitment and diversification activities.
Chamber efforts have not been strategically aligned with the targets identified in the 2006 Target Business Analysis. The 2011 Target Cluster Review established a new paradigm for the local economy, taking into account the dynamics of the Great
Recession and new developments and “wins” in the region. Now, more than ever, economic development efforts must be deliberate and support economic growth that is diverse, high-value, and sustainable in the long term.
- Create target sector councils with business leaders of each target cluster, as well as education and workforce representatives.
- Expand the Applied Technologies cluster.
- Further develop the Health Care target, including development efforts in the Research Science and Medical Manufacturing niches.
- Expand the Advanced Manufacturing target to leverage the growth of Hyundai and the opportunities of Maxwell-Gunter AFB.
- Expand Greater Montgomery’s Logistics and Distribution target.
- Establish linkages and networks between postsecondary institutions, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, and businesses in target sectors.
- Assess and communicate target sector skill requirements to the region’s high schools, colleges and universities, and workforce development providers.
- Expand corporate development staff with professional target-focused development specialists.